Back from the heat
Vacation dayz: Part 1
After nearly a year since I moved to Toronto, I finally decided to take a well deserved vacation from work. On Oct. 1, I did just that and took 2 weeks off to fly back to the Philippines. First of all let me say that even with all that's taken place in the year that I left, people are correct when they say there's no place like home.
Ok, now that that's out of the way, let's first recap the whole travel experience. The trip to the airport from my apartment was quite uneventful except for one minor annoyance. ALWAYS specify what kind of transportation you want to pick you up. I've always taken airport limosines (hey, if I'm going to travel, I'm doing it in style) but this time they sent me a friggin' van. Sure it was big and yes, I was the only one in it but it wasn't exactly the comfiest of rides.
Anyway after arriving at the airport, pretty much standard there: line up, get my boarding pass, wait for the flight. Everything went smoothly until I actually got to the plane.
For what I believed to be off-season, the flight was packed (and from what I gathered majority Chinese headed to Hong Kong). Still, I got an aisle seat so it was all good. The nightmare happened WHILE I was in the air.
Now, for those of you that know me, I'm a pretty patient person. But 20 hours (the flight fromTornoto to Manila takes about that) with a kid that WON'T STOP CRYING is pretty irritating. Now, of course I'm exaggerating about the 'won't stop' part. He did stop for a few minutes to catch his breath but you get the point.
In any case, my ears were so relieved the moment I took the HK -> Manila flight (flight path took me from Toronto -> Alaska -> Hong Kong -> Manila). Still a full flight but no matter...the kid from hell was gone.
Landing in NAIA (Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport) brought back some feelings of nostalgia from when I would always travel with my family. This was one of the few times I travelled alone. Stepping out of the airport then reminded me of why I didn't miss home though: good Lord, it was HOT and HUMID. Let me tell you, after spending -30 celsius winters and just coming from a pleasant 15 celsius, 30 celsius is HOT.
Still, I had a family gathering to go to (no rest for the wicked, hehehe) which also served as my late birthday party so the day itself ended on a high note.
Stay tuned for part 2 of Vacation dayz: return of the sith.
After nearly a year since I moved to Toronto, I finally decided to take a well deserved vacation from work. On Oct. 1, I did just that and took 2 weeks off to fly back to the Philippines. First of all let me say that even with all that's taken place in the year that I left, people are correct when they say there's no place like home.
Ok, now that that's out of the way, let's first recap the whole travel experience. The trip to the airport from my apartment was quite uneventful except for one minor annoyance. ALWAYS specify what kind of transportation you want to pick you up. I've always taken airport limosines (hey, if I'm going to travel, I'm doing it in style) but this time they sent me a friggin' van. Sure it was big and yes, I was the only one in it but it wasn't exactly the comfiest of rides.
Anyway after arriving at the airport, pretty much standard there: line up, get my boarding pass, wait for the flight. Everything went smoothly until I actually got to the plane.
For what I believed to be off-season, the flight was packed (and from what I gathered majority Chinese headed to Hong Kong). Still, I got an aisle seat so it was all good. The nightmare happened WHILE I was in the air.
Now, for those of you that know me, I'm a pretty patient person. But 20 hours (the flight fromTornoto to Manila takes about that) with a kid that WON'T STOP CRYING is pretty irritating. Now, of course I'm exaggerating about the 'won't stop' part. He did stop for a few minutes to catch his breath but you get the point.
In any case, my ears were so relieved the moment I took the HK -> Manila flight (flight path took me from Toronto -> Alaska -> Hong Kong -> Manila). Still a full flight but no matter...the kid from hell was gone.
Landing in NAIA (Ninoy Aquino Int'l Airport) brought back some feelings of nostalgia from when I would always travel with my family. This was one of the few times I travelled alone. Stepping out of the airport then reminded me of why I didn't miss home though: good Lord, it was HOT and HUMID. Let me tell you, after spending -30 celsius winters and just coming from a pleasant 15 celsius, 30 celsius is HOT.
Still, I had a family gathering to go to (no rest for the wicked, hehehe) which also served as my late birthday party so the day itself ended on a high note.
Stay tuned for part 2 of Vacation dayz: return of the sith.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home