Friday, February 10, 2006

Winterlicious!!

Winterlicious: an excuse to get fat :p since restaurants seem to charge somewhat less for their meals.

The past 2 weeks (Jan. 27 - Feb. 9) was the Winter City festival which highlighted a festival of food, culture, and basically cold stuff. Winterlicious is one of those events which took place.

Due to other things (plus my own procrastination), I nearly missed the opportunity to sample some of Toronto's finest cusine (or so they claim). Thankfully, I made the time and on Feb. 9, I had dinner at New Orleans Desire Cajun Creole.

Now, for the Winterlicious event, restaurants basically serve you a 3 course meal for a flat price (varies between restaurants and lunch / dinner prices of course). When I went to the restaurant, I had luckily been able to get a table as the place was packed.

Like most restaurants, New Orleans gave me some toasted bread and butter. The butter was a unique treat, as I think it was butter with Cajun seasoning.

Appetizers started off with a choice between Okra Gumbo or Spicy Shrimp. Now, coming from the Philippines, Okra is a pretty common vegetable so while I was sorely tempted to go for gumbo, the shrimp in the end won. In hindsight, I should have gone for the gumbo since the 'spicy' shrimp was basically shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce. Now don't get me wrong, the shrimp was still good. Just not as unique as I'd hoped it would be.

The main dish was a toss-up between Jambalaya or Blackend Grouper. Now, I eat a lot of fish already and the only Jambalaya I've ever tried was the one of Popeyes so I went with the Jambalaya. Of course, me being me, I absolutely loved it! It was so much better than Popeyes and vaguely reminded me of Spanish Paella.

Of course, the table in front of me just had to mention the Grouper was EXCELLENT so that almost spoiled my mood.

Still, overall I enjoyed absolutely everything I ate. (Course now I have to burn it all of but thats besides the point ;) ).

If I were to put it in cliche terms:
Price for the meal: 25$ (+ tax)
Another thing bringing me closer to the Canadian experience : priceless ^_^

Later days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home